This week, rapper Tory Lanez was charged after police say he shot fellow rapper Megan “Thee Stallion” Pete in July. Here’s what we know about what happened in July and the charges against Lanez.
What Happened in July?
According to Complex, “On Sunday, July 12, Los Angeles police officers reportedly received a call about a disturbance outside of a Hollywood Hills residence around 4:30 a.m. Upon arrival, witnesses told officers they overheard people arguing in an SUV before shots were fired. According to a statement from the Hollywood division of the Los Angeles Police Department, Tory Lanez and Megan thee Stallion got into an argument while riding around in the SUV.”
The report continues, “When Megan attempted to exit the vehicle, Lanez allegedly fired his gun several times, striking and wounding Megan in her feet. Sources close to the incident told Complex that Lanez told Megan to ‘dance b—- before shooting her, but that detail has been denied by Lanez’ camp.”
What Were Tory and Megan Doing That Night?
According to an Instagram Live posted that night of Pete, Kylie Jenner, and Lanez from shortly before the shooting, they were at a pool party. The shots reportedly rang out several miles from Jenner’s Hollywood Hills residence.
Was Megan Seriously Injured?
Early reports suggested that Pete had been hit in the leg by shrapnel from the bullets. However, Pete took to social media later to say that it was in fact a bullet which grazed her leg, but the WAP rapper sustained no serious injuries.
Although Pete did not name her attacker initially, she did speak out to say she had, per NPR, “suffered gunshot wounds, as a result of a crime that was committed against me and done with the intention to physically harm me.”
Tory Was Arrested On The Night of the Shooting
After police arrived on the scene, they found Pete injured and Lanez had fled the scene. Lanez was located soon after, and arrested with a gun in his vehicle. Although rumors circulated on the internet that Pete was arrested as well, this turned out to be untrue. Lanez was released the same day he was arrested after posting a $35,000 bail.
What Have Megan and Tory Said Since the Incident?
Complex reports, “Weeks after the incident occurred, Megan Thee Stallion hopped on Instagram Live where she confirmed that Tory was the shooter. ‘Yes, this n—- Tory shot me. You shot me, and you got your publicist and your people going to these blogs, lying and sh–,’ Megan said. The rapper shared more details from the incident, saying that he shot her while she was trying to leave the car. Megan also revealed that she did not tell police what really happened that night because she feared for both her and Lanez’s safety. ‘The police came, I’m scared. All this sh– going on with the police? The police is shooting m——s for anything,’ she added. ‘The police was literally killing Black people for no m—— reason.. You think I’m about to tell the police that we—n—-, us Black people—got a gun in the car?’
After staying off social media and out of the press in the many weeks following the incident, Tory Lanez broke his silence on September 25. ‘There is a time to stay silent. And a time to speak. I said all I could say on this,’ he wrote on Twitter. Hours later, Tory dropped DAYSTAR, a 17-track album, addressing the shooting allegations as well as his relationship with Megan. On the project, Tory claimed he was being framed, saying that he was the target of a smear campaign. In addition to painting Megan as a liar, he also took aim at several celebrities who condemned him in the media, including Kehlani, JR Smith, Chance the Rapper, AsianDoll, and more.”
What Was Tory Charged With And Will He Face Prison Time?
The charges filed by LA County district attorney include the following:
- assault with a semiautomatic firearm
- personal use of a firearm
- carrying a loaded, unregistered firearm in a vehicle
- inflicting great bodily harm
If found guilty, Lanez could face up to 22 years in prison.
Lanez Maintains His Innocence
As Pete and Lanez continue to wage war through music and across social media, the courts will ultimately decide Lanez’s guilt or innocence. Lanez continues to maintain that he is the victim of a vicious smear campaign. Pete, for her part, continues to maintain her side of the story. The 25-year-old rapper has been accused of being a snitch for turning Lanez in, but Pete felt she had no choice. Pete in return says Lanez’s people are launching a smear campaign against her.
TMZ later obtained text messages exchanged from Lanez to Pete the night of the shooting. Per TMZ, “[Lanez] wrote, ‘I know u prolly never gone talk to me again, but I genuinely want u to know I’m sorry from the bottom of my heart.’