This week ABC’s Bachelor Nation fans were introduced to the franchise’s newest hunk and Bachelor, Matt James. On Monday’s premiere the network spiced it up a bit as James made franchise history as the first African American man to hold the final rose to one woman’s heart in the show’s 25th season. This came as a pleasant surprise to many fans as Bachelor Nation seemed to desperately needed a revamp. Many think it is long over-due, in terms of why the network waited so long to add a little color and culture to the leading man. Leaving viewers to question whether the network needed ratings as many could say that the show is all to predictable.
Either way, it is a welcomed change indeed, especially as we as a nation have faced some major realities this past year in terms of racism and equality in America. This handsome, well-rounded, biracial man with a smile that shines for days is giving viewers a combination of qualities any woman would love! Hence, making him worthy of having his pick of 32 women all vying for a chance with James on his journey to find love.
Unfortunately the ABC Network didn’t get the ratings they had hoped for. While this season actually set new lows for a season premiere. The network didn’t get too far behind though, as they were still winners amongst adults aging from 18-49 taking the second place spot amongst viewers on Monday night. Who’s to say the actual reasoning behind that either due to the increasing chaos of the Covid-19 pandemic and with many people forced to adjust to many lifestyle changes, it may not be the networks fault in the loss of overall viewing numbers.
About the New Bachelor Matt James
While the newest bachelor has been previously been introduced to Bachelor fans in the past when he made a brief appearance on an episode of ABC’s The Bachelorette in recent years. James just so happens to be BFFs with Tyler Cameron, of Bachelorette Fame, as he appeared on Hanna Brown‘s season of the Bachelorette. Fans were first introduced to James as Cameron was narrowed down to Brown’s top two contestants and Cameron introduced her to family and friends which included Matt James. Together, James and Cameron created and now own and operate a charity called ABC Food Tours . The charity is designed to teach and assist the youth of New York City in terms of leading healthy lifestyles while providing them with a chance to do things such as try new restaurants in the city/local community that they may not have been able to do prior. James and Cameron have shared that to date they have helped approximately 50,000 underprivileged youth since the start. The two hunky besties have been fortunate and seen immense financial growth since making their appearances on The Bachelorette and now The Bachelor.
Why Women Might Fall for ABC’s Newest Bachelor
“I’m just going to lean into myself and how my mom raised me,” he said. “Hopefully when people invite me into their homes on Monday night they’re going to see that I’m not much different from them and they see that diverse love stories are beautiful.”
- He loves his mama as he expressed on the January 4th season premiere. On ABC’s Good Morning America, he definitely showed that love. “I’m looking for qualities that my mom embodies, and that’s selfless, honest, caring, compassionate,” he told “GMA.” Revealing that to James, “Those are qualities found in women all shapes, sizes and races and it’s not a black or white thing.”
- He expressed his true feelings regarding being the first black man ever on the Bachelor and he makes it clear that he also is feeling the pressure of holding that title
- According to James he shared that he has never experienced real love. Through his own self-reflection he admittingly said on the season premiere that he now believes he can appreciate and value what love truly is and he is ready to “love and be loved”
- He is a man of God and his faith is important to him. James made sure to show his commitment to his faith as the contestants went into the first rose ceremony of the season, starting with a prayer. His Instagram bio tells all explaining that he is indeed a “believer” of God and James reveals when he spoke with Wake Forest Magazine recently that aside from attending Wake Forest College to play football, becoming a Christian was the next best decision he has ever made.
- James sat down with show’s host Chris Harrison just prior to the ladies arrival during the premiere and addressed his views on being chosen as the first black bachelor in franchise history. He expressed his immense excitement along with noting the pressure he is feeling to please all viewers and that he does not want to upset black or white viewers as they watch him follow his heart this season. James also shares that being a product of interracial marriage himself, stating his belief that “People want you to end up with a certain type of person”, but he firmly believes in this journey and is committed to all that it entails. While many fans are watching, it is much more than a television show to him. He has strong faith in being chosen at the right time in his life and believes he is right where he needs to be; ready and excited to share his journey and the entire experience with all of America!
While his journey to find love has just begun for the newest and most eligible bachelor on ABC, viewers seem to be excited and ready to follow him all the way to the final rose ceremony. The season premiere was nothing short of entertaining as the ladies he was introduced to brought on the crazy as they stepped out of the limo and many made quite the impression on not only James himself, but viewers all over the nation. Leading girls across America to tuning in and/or making sure their DVR’s are set to record as America follows James’ journey each week